Thursday, July 14, 2016

It's Not a Pyramid, It's a Square Made of Triangles!

My vacation of sorts went pretty nicely, I think. It was lovely being in a setting with a whole lot of space to roam and enjoy nature.
However, the ambiance was interrupted one night by a message from someone with whom I have not spoken to since high school. We weren't really even acquaintances.


You see, I had received a message from this person earlier in the day asking if I wanted to join a "movement." I thought that it was rather odd, and I had read the message right when it was time for me to go back in to work from my break, so I hadn't responded.

Apparently that was upsetting to this person, and they decided to send me a long string of frownie-faces. I was quite put off by their, er, persistence so I decided to ask what the whole deal was about.


They refused to specify and asked simply for me to take 15 minutes to watch a video. Ok, not too bad just a video. Then they told me that they would call before the video (classic foot-in-the-door sales technique). They kept hyping this video and the company up--"it's amazing, life-changing!" Here's a link to the video: huh, it's been deleted...

This person is involved with a company called WorldVentures, an apparent multilevel marketing company (which, in this case, is a pyramid scheme masquerading as one). It promises the career of a lifetime: vacationing while making money. (They conveniently do not mention the numerous training fees and cult devotion among its members).

I find it interesting, really. The person who messaged me about this company happens to be a theist. Now this is not to say that all, or even most, theists are easily ensnared in schemes like these. However, I feel a similar mindset is at work in both theism and devotion to companies like these: ridiculous promises of a reward so long as you devote yourself wholly to the cause, self-blame when things do not go the way they were supposed to (I just need to have more faith/I just need to utilize more of my time for the company), and a heavy focus on recruiting others. You'd almost think that churches are in it for the money...


No comments:

Post a Comment