Monday, February 8, 2016

Why I'm a Secular Humanist

I’ve been posting a whole lot of atheist/secular humanist images/ideas to facebook.

I’m not doing this to make Christians or people of faith angry, nor am I doing it to shame my family 
or put them down for what they believe. What’s happened here is like a slow drip from a faucet, 
and I finally had the courage and confidence to turn on the sink full blast. Allow me to explain this comparison. Ever since I was a young child, I had a very inquisitive mind. I wanted to know as much 
as I could about everything. According to my parents, I taught myself sign language (though I have no recollection of this). I remember going outside to collect tiny “seashells” by the tree in our
front yard and analyzing them under my microscope to see what was in/around them. I remember 
asking “why?” almost constantly 

when my parents gave me an idea or a decision that they had made.

I remember our family doing Bible studies a great deal. When I was very young, I (and several members of our church) were very proud of the fact that I had read my entire Beginner’s 

Bible (a Bible for children which, as you might expect, leaves out a lot of “adult” information common in the Bible). I remember one day when my family went out to eat and as we all 

got out of the car, I had a “blank” moment and my family vanished. (I would later realize that 

this was an absence seizure, and my family hadn’t vanished, I had simply not been aware of 

them walking into the restaurant). In this moment I panicked, believing that the Rapture had 

just befallen my family and I had been left behind for not being faithful enough to God. 

Delusions like these would continue throughout my life and become more and more pervasive.

I would listen for trumpet sounds and be vigilant for any signs of the impending apocalypse.

My family and friends may not have seen it, but I was feeling a tremendous amount of anxiety constantly.

One Bible study in particular sticks out in my mind. Leviticus 24:23. In this verse, God 

commands Moses, who then commands his followers, to stone a blasphemer. Murder him. 

*Drip. Drip.* I implored my parents to tell me why a merciful god would command such a 

thing. The answer? Something along the lines of, “God is God, and we cannot understand His

ways or His plan.” *Drip. Drip. Splash.* I cried for the blasphemer. He is long gone, but my 

heart ached for a man who simply had different beliefs.

Fast forward a bit to Christ in Youth, a conference aimed at bringing preteens/teens to Jesus

and providing a place for existing teen believers to congregate. Before I go any further I would

like to say this--I know I have friends here who loved CIY and still do. I sincerely apologize 

for this, I know how much you treasured this time. I did too, for the friendships it 

strengthened.

I remember our youth leader acting with revulsion toward a particularly 

flamboyant, presumably homosexual male. This made me angry, so I told the youth leader 

what I felt about how he had acted. *Splash. Splash. SPLASH.* I remember another youth

leader not asking, but COMMANDING us to go pray for a random group of women. This made

me uncomfortable. I have social anxiety as it is. I told him that I didn’t feel right doing this 

but he insisted that god wanted us to. So we did. I remember the sneers of derision from the women as I awkwardly stumbled in prayer. Looking back, it was wrong of them to act so 

rudely. Were I in their stead at this time, I would have probably felt pity, not derision. But I digress. *SPLASH. SPLASH. Trickle.*

I could point out other instances similar to these, but that would take far too long and I’m 

not sure anyone here will have read this far in the first place. My point in describing these situations is that I have always had doubt about this faith. Those of you who believe in the Christian God may believe that my newfound worldview is the result of the devil’s temptation, 

but unless my thought process itself is the devil I can assure you that this is not the case. The reason I am being so vocal about this now is that I never truly felt that I could be vocal about it before. I want to proclaim what I think and feel just as those with other beliefs want to

proclaim what they think and feel. I feel all at once a huge burden lifted off my shoulders and

a heavy heart for family members who truly believe I am going to a place of eternal torture.

But I would like to ask this: if God does exist and has offered this ultimatum--accept and

worship me or be damned for eternity--is he really a God worthy of reverence in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment