Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Farewell, Responsibility!

I was perusing the internet today when I happened upon an appalling story.


A youth minister named Brandon Milburn had been convicted of seven counts of first degree statutory sodomy. 

I am writing about this article not to suggest that pedophiles run rampant in Christianity. Pedophiles can find victims anywhere, not just in the church. But I feel that beliefs espoused within the church can hinder an already shaky outlook as far as rehabilitation of people who deal with these impulses is concerned:

"To the families I betrayed.... With everything I am, I'm so sorry. I would do anything to take my childish behavior back.... I know that I sinned against God and that I sinned against them. I was given a position of trust, and I abused it on them.... My actions have haunted me for years.... I truly hate what I've done. I'm sorry, God, I'm so sorry."
Between sobs, Milburn thanks the handful of supporters who spoke on his behalf. Then he delivers his final plea to Cohen.
"I'm ready to be put this all behind me and to continue reaching for my dreams of filmmaking and in music. ... Your Honor, I ask for your mercy in your decision today, for a chance to further prove who I am."
He's ready to put all of this behind him? What about the victims? He obviously doesn't anywhere near understand the ramifications of what he has done:
"From his detention facility, Milburn sent a brief statement to Riverfront Times. On yellow legal paper, he wrote that he'd been saved from his past — a gift from God. 'He loves me, so he gave it to me, and I reached out and took it,' he wrote. 'No one will ever separate me from that love, and God extends that love to anyone and everyone no matter what they've done or where they are. I've chosen to do the same.'
He ended with a P.S.: 'Check out John 8:2-11. '
The passage is the one in which Jesus defends a woman who's been caught in an act of adultery. He's asked if he would advocate stoning her. He responds, 'Let anyone of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.'
Milburn signs his letter 'Choosing love, Brandon.'"
Research has shown that pedophilia is extremely difficult to treat, even when patients are motivated to change. When they are simply assuming that this great entity has cured them (conveniently after already carrying out their impulses, probably a result of the devil's temptation, right?) recidivism is very likely to occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment