Thursday, March 10, 2016

Have You Been Touched By Buddy Jesus?

A few days ago, a coworker of mine recommended that I see "Dogma."


One of my first thoughts was, "Oh! So that's where that goofy Jesus statue comes from!" (Bear with me, folks. I am just now discovering these movies. Ironically, my youth group appropriated pictures of this statue for lessons on numerous occasions).

I love this movie for a number of reasons. Firstly, I mean, Alan Rickman as Metatron and Alanis Morissette as God--that right there was amazing. But I also respect the movie for the questions it asks (no, I'm not talking about Jay asking if he can bang the Zion every five minutes).

I believe in the possibility of a god or yet undiscovered being of higher intelligence. I am simply not comfortable asserting that any god or such being exists because I have no tangible evidence. And if one does exist, I do not think the Bible or Quran or any other religious book out there effectively explains or identifies it. All religious texts must have some bias. When it comes down to it, they were written by completely fallible humans. For example, the Bible (this example being from the KJV) is horribly, horribly misogynistic. According to a passage in Deuteronomy, if a man calls his new wife a "slut" but her virginity is verified, the man must be admonished. But if he calls his new wife a "slut" and her virginity cannot be proved, she shall be stoned to death. The Quran permits rape as long as the victim is a slave taken as a prisoner of war.

Hm. Sounds to me like they could have been written by men with power complexes. I don't believe, but I have an idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment